• Advertisement

Dual Carb '58 Project

Type 1 area

Moderators: AdrianH, whitehouse

Re: Dual Carb '58 Project

Postby vonripsnorter » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:45 pm

Manifolds Look to have be painted black on your engine Dale ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTIkoPbN ... 4sjOYx7zrA

VintageSpeed'58 wrote: Von...Not sure why the Deitz should produce more than the Express (which is what my manifolds are...modified in NZ with a far larger than stock balance tube) as I thought they both used the same carbs? However with my 7.5:1 CR and larger intakes I should see an improvement (but less than the 20% needed to get it all certified).

Time will tell....Richard

Could just be differences in individual engines tested & the car with the Deitz Manifolds might have been a little healthier even before the modification? Who knows
Last edited by vonripsnorter on Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm Counting the beat 1-4-3-2
vonripsnorter
Addicted Nut
Addicted Nut

Postby VintageSpeed'58 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:59 pm

Nope..that's them. Hope I don't have the same problems!
VintageSpeed'58
Leading Hand
Leading Hand

Postby VintageSpeed'58 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:14 pm

OK; one remaining issue...how do I manage to get my hand past the new solid fuel line, wiring, choke cable and next to the fan housing to adjust the throttle control screw on the RHS carb!!! (note the carbs are on the opposite way to when Dale had the manifolds as I wanted them to sit in the same direction as stock!).

Still....goes nicely but just ticking over too fast....

Richard
VintageSpeed'58
Leading Hand
Leading Hand

Postby VintageSpeed'58 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:08 pm

Been using the '58 far too regularly as my oldest daughter has been using my daily driver; 70km round trip to and from work....

However, as much as I love my tapered tailpipes the exhaust is loud and un-neighbourly when I have to start it at 5.30am. Any ideas how to make a standard exhaust with straight through pipes quieter?

Thanks
Richard
VintageSpeed'58
Leading Hand
Leading Hand

Postby 6pack » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:21 pm

Change your neighbours or ur neighbourhood

che ching !
CHINA is killing AUSTRALIA, their plan worked, IS NEW ZEALAND next? DON'T BE SUCKED IN BY THEIR ONEWAY TRADEDEALS

Used to be the bumper sticker on my Bedford CF with a 350Chev -

"IF YOUR DAUGHTER'S IN HERE, DON'T WORRY, SHE CAN'T GET OUT"
6pack
Leading Hand
Leading Hand

Postby VintageSpeed'58 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:49 am

Only been here 3 weeks...can't move yet! Any ideas anyone?
Thanks
Richard
VintageSpeed'58
Leading Hand
Leading Hand

Postby VintageSpeed'58 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:44 pm

Anyone read German...wonder what the shipping would be on a pair of these?
http://www.tde-kaefer-tuning.de/index.php?pageid=9
VintageSpeed'58
Leading Hand
Leading Hand

Postby VintageSpeed'58 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:11 pm

OK...Santa brought me a pair of the TDE tailpipes; now much more neighbourly and overall more pleasant to drive!
VintageSpeed'58
Leading Hand
Leading Hand

Postby VintageSpeed'58 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:11 pm

OK...Santa brought me a pair of the TDE tailpipes; now much more neighbourly and overall more pleasant to drive!
VintageSpeed'58
Leading Hand
Leading Hand

Postby mattbug » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:28 pm

Did the 'learn German DVD' from santa help in your buying decision?

They look very cool.
mattbug
Leading Hand
Leading Hand

Postby VintageSpeed'58 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:53 pm

Ordered with the help of a fellow vintage speed enthusiast on the Samba who happens to be in Germany!
VintageSpeed'58
Leading Hand
Leading Hand

Postby VintageSpeed'58 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:33 am

As with any Vee Dub this is still an ongoing project!

I am about to pull the split case gearbox(very noisy and it destroyed the clutch release bearing a few months ago in part I think due to the 'fork' being a little bent and very worn). Going to replace this with a 'built' later gearbox, ready for the day that I get the funds for a 2180 or 2276.

The box will have a Type2 nosecone. Does anyone know, do I still use the standard front mount or do I need to source something different?

Thanks
Richard
VintageSpeed'58
Leading Hand
Leading Hand

Postby Dub-Vegas » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:19 am

I think you do need an aftermarket front mount, Or some modification work.
here's what uncle Keith has to say :D
(extract is from Keith Seumes vw beetle performance handbook (page 15 if you have it))

"use the nosecone from an early Type 2 transmission (pre '68) and the matching hockey stick gear selector rod, bolted in place of the original beetle components. The selector rod need to be modified slightly - the small locating detent for the set screw on the gear linkage coupling is drilled from underneath on a type 2 as opposed to above on a beetle. This detent must therefore be redrilled 180º from its original location so that it can be used with the beetles coupling. this is by far the most simple way to carry out the late into early swap and the part numbers are 211 301 205H for the nosecone and 113 311 541 for the selector rod you will also need a mounting pad 211 310 265A, to complete the conversion.

there may be other ways to do it, Keith's book was written in 97, so there may be a complete aftermarket kit available now.
maybe someone else knows?
58 Bug (w.i.p.) 66 Bug
Dub-Vegas
A-Grade Nutter
A-Grade Nutter

Postby VintageSpeed'58 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:38 am

Hi Dub Vegas
Many thanks for the information. Sounds like I need that mount! Wolfsburg West sell a solid mount which I'm not keen on!
Richard
VintageSpeed'58
Leading Hand
Leading Hand

Postby s1fter » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:27 pm

Link to The Metric Nut ltd web site

Ph [03] 366 3749
Christchurch

The Metric Nut Ltd Facebook Page

1961 VW Pick Up (1776cc Turbo)
1972 VW 1302 (2533cc Type 4 Injected)
s1fter
Head Nut
Head Nut

Postby VintageSpeed'58 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:52 am

That's the one that WW sell! I think that allows you to fit without the bus nose cone mod....so I'll need to bus mount mentioned earlier.
Thanks
Richard
VintageSpeed'58
Leading Hand
Leading Hand

Postby vonripsnorter » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:43 am

Interesting , I was reading this thinking "I'm sure it was a lot simpler than all this & using all OEM parts ?"

Back in the 80's I had the split box replaced with a rebuilt tunnel box in my Beetle of the time.

I drove to work one day with a split box & drove home the same day with a tunnel box , no nose cone changing or modified selector rods etc & the OEM gearbox front mount.

After a bit of Goggling ( which didn't exist back then ) , Turns out I was lucky . it was only such a simple mod for one year ( 1960 ) so it turns out.

We used one of these 111 701 173 C Image
Welded it to the pan & then the standard sedan front nosecone & rubberised front mount bolted right up to it .

Almost too simple.

Out of interest, why cant this mounting plate be used on a pre 1960? was the pan fork head a different shape ?
vonripsnorter
Addicted Nut
Addicted Nut

Postby s1fter » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:54 am

We have sold those in the past, but are hard to find from suppliers
Link to The Metric Nut ltd web site

Ph [03] 366 3749
Christchurch

The Metric Nut Ltd Facebook Page

1961 VW Pick Up (1776cc Turbo)
1972 VW 1302 (2533cc Type 4 Injected)
s1fter
Head Nut
Head Nut

Postby vonripsnorter » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:18 pm

s1fter wrote:We have sold those in the past, but are hard to find from suppliers

Looks like these guys have them "&" I see they say fits 1960 AND earlier beetles, so guess that answers my question :D

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/Detai ... 111701173c
vonripsnorter
Addicted Nut
Addicted Nut

Postby VintageSpeed'58 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:26 am

I think my conversion will be pretty straight forward. I'm getting a box built anyway and so adding the T2 nosecone isn't an issue. Should then bolt straight in with the new T2 rubber mount.

I'm looking forward to some relatively quiet cruising and less noise around town too. I should really use ear plugs when on a long run with the existing box! Looking forward to getting it up an running again and shifting through the gears with my new Gene Berg 14" bent shifter that I picked up a couple of weeks ago (first will now be within easy reach for me).
VintageSpeed'58
Leading Hand
Leading Hand

Postby VintageSpeed'58 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:34 pm

All going well the new gearbox should be in before the Nationals (subject to some other things that need tackling at the same time). However, given that schools don't finish until the Thursday I may be driving to Taupo in the dark.

Does anyone have any good cost effective (!) ways to help improve my lights?

They are the original type with the bayonet bulbs; still 6 volt but the reflectors aren't great. I did fit halogen bulbs but these blew and shorted internally causing a number of problems! I know I could replace the reflectors but don't currently have the cash....so any other ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks
Richard
VintageSpeed'58
Leading Hand
Leading Hand

Postby tedz » Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:02 am

I would've thought the 6v halogens would be the way to go, why did they short ? Maybe a relay was needed.

I had the reflectors chromed in my 58 years ago, supposedly a no no as the chrome is too shiney but I thought its 6v who would notice.

Are there any LED driving lights available in 6v.

Cheers Tedz.
58 Singlecab, 1776cc, flipped spindles, straight axle.
76 1303 Cabriolet, 2007cc, RWE 5 speed, 944 disc brakes.

My goal,, a blackshirt............yea 20-106513 another hatch.
tedz
Addicted Nut
Addicted Nut

Postby vonripsnorter » Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:54 am

The Reflector condition makes a HUGE difference , no point putting brighter flasher bulbs in if the reflectors are poorly or shot . it might make them look brighter to look at but still be throwing little light forward.

worst I saw recently was one of those horrid W8 Passats that failed its WOF because the headlights were that bad they were not even registering on the light meter & it had HID headlights :? :?:

Turns out the HID bulbs were working perfectly, but the reflectors were completely shot & so it now had just 'super bright' light bulbs in effectively a black hole.

Back to the 58 , Make sure all your wiring connectors are cleaned up. easy with these as you have the screw connectors & your headlight fuses have their own little fuse box in the spare wheel well. Also the contacts the fuse its self makes can be cleaned up to all make a difference

Same with the screw connectors at the bulb holders.

Failing that, I have some brand new Genuine pre 1960 headlight reflectors I've had for 30 or so years , you could always make me an offer I cant refuse

( might be cheaper to get your old ones re-chromed ) :wink: :lol:

A 'Cost effective' option is what I did to my 1960 Beetle back in the 1980's , I fitted some brand new Bosch Driving lights that still looked period enough & changed the bulbs to 6V Halogens .

Worked a treat, Super simple to wire in too with the screw type connectors you have I wired them direct to the high beam (no relays, no extra switches etc) & every time I selected High Beam, they came on too, it was Brilliant.

Made a massive difference on the open road & I mounted them with a small bracket I made up that bolted directly to the bumper brackets using the existing nuts & chrome bumper bolt & ran the wires directly into the wheel well ( where the fuse box is ) through the same outlets in the body that the bumper irons come out so all in all, super simple fit & can be removed with out one sign they were ever there.

Photo below was taken about 1986-87 ( I miss my Mk1 Golf it was only 5-6 years old when I got it, it had the factory 4 light grill so was great light wise too :D )

Last edited by vonripsnorter on Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
vonripsnorter
Addicted Nut
Addicted Nut

Postby Dangermouse » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:12 am

Just how bad are your reflectors? I ask because I recently treated myself to new Hella units. Yes the difference is immediately noticeable but in truth my old ones weren't completely stuffed either, and may even be in better shape than what you're working with? I kept them as I knew they'd be of use to somebody. Mine's a '65 and I don't know if they're the same as a '58 but somebody on here will - looking at you Paul... You're welcome to them if they're of any use to you.

Can you tell which is the new unit? :lol:

Another thing you could try is a headlight relay to feed the lights and remove the voltage drop contributed by old wiring. I have this thing which I keep meaning install but never quite get around to...

Might be tricky to source a 6V one at short notice though.

Another thing you could fettle with for no cost is the headlight switch itself if you're still running an original unit. I had mine apart recently to clean up and there was a noticeable amount of oxidation present on the contacts. A quick buff back to shiny and a smear of dielectric grease and it's good to go for another fifty years. Out of curiosity, I also compared the internals of my original switch to a new unit from a reputable top-shelf supplier and it was striking how cheesy the repro switch is in comparison to the original. Having looked inside one of these I would now prefer to refresh an original rather than replace.

Get the voltmeter out and see how many of the volts are making it as far as the bulbs, maybe it will become obvious why your lights are sub par.
Penfold, shush.
Dangermouse
Nutter
Nutter

Postby vonripsnorter » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:26 am

Dangermouse wrote:Mine's a '65 and I don't know if they're the same as a '58 but somebody on here will - looking at you Paul... You're welcome to them if they're of any use to you.

They are different , the 58 has a wire spring clip on the reflector its self that holds the bulb holder in unlike the later twist & turn. & your old reflectors are better than most Rory :wink: & people blame 6V systems rather than Old worn out components . My 6V headlights are brighter on park, than some others are switched on :lol:

I like the idea of cleaning up the headlight switch, how easy is it to pull apart ?
vonripsnorter
Addicted Nut
Addicted Nut

PreviousNext

Return to Beetle